Friday, October 19, 2012

Silent Hill 2 Fan Film

Some of you may or may not know, but I am a very huge Silent Hill fan, and I love seeing different fan projects on the Silent Hill Franchises. I stumbled upon a fan man Silent Hill 2 movie called Silnet Hill Anniversery.

I guess I am very ranty person, as I found a lot of issues with the film (which mind you I guess is a student film, not a big Hollywood thing.... dear god i hope not.) Most of the issues I have with the film are mainly cosmetics, but I think ill list them in a long pointless TL;DR format :)

Mary(Film or F for short) has a very modern day young 20 year old look, which Im not saying Silent Hill 2 wasn't modern (well it was 90s modern I guess.) But Mary(SH2) has a look that is almost the total opposite of what is shown. I mean, yeah like i said, james doesnt match up either, but his personality isnt portraied really any different (At least from my POV.) He looks like he can be any guy, with any job,. any background. When I look at Mary(F) I just see a young 20 year old/borderline teenager, with a nose piercing and Jeans. Mary (SH2) is more of an old time girl, with a floral dress and a blouse. If anything, I think there choice in Mary would have dont okay for a modern Maria (Who was Mary's opposite almost, more outragiously dressed, and flirtatious.)

(Mary(SH2) on the Left, Maria(SH2) on the right.)


Another issue I had, which oddly enough is another actor choice, is the nurses, Real and enemy related. First Ill start with the real nurse, who you only see for like 5 seconds (but i like to complain about nonsense bullshit, so Ill continue.) She is dressed like an old timy nurse, or in an outfit you would find at a Halloween shop, yet she also has this weird teenager/young adult look that almost every female in this movie has. I get that it was made by a group of idk, film students? But seriously, all these woman are just a huge turnoff from the type of characters they are portraying. I think it just bothers me more then it should, just because I see a lot of hipsters portrayals or teenagers in the SH Hill franchise, wether it be fan movies on silent hill, or the comics, or anything. I am totally not saying HYPSTERS CANT LIKE SILENT HILL or anything, I dunno even know what I am saying I guess. But I just like portrayals sticking wither everything around them. If your going to play a character in who projects herself as a polite, dignified woman, who dresses appropriately, then match that. As for the Enemy nurses, this one IS just nitpicking, and really can't be 100% to blame for the crew. I am sick and tired of seeing "half-ass" costumes for nurses. Just wrapping gauge around your face and putting on a slutty nurse outfit doesnt equal a monster. I think to most people in the Silent Hill fanbase these days belive it does. Look, I know the nurses in SH2 prettymuch look as what I just describe, but at least make the skin more pale and semi-bloated or dirtyed, cover all there face, including the hair, make there outfit BARLY white, not just a white dress with blood blotches, no i mean get a outfit, get it as dirty as possible, let it sit out in the sun for a month, lightly wash it, and make sure it looks yellowed. I swear, ever since Homecoming came out (which btw I do love), everyone thinks Nurses gotta be sexy sexy, and have almost no differences from a human nurse besides gauze.

Now as far as the story goes... I gotta say, I got REALLY thrown off with the film. The direct the film took felt liek it was everywhere. I can understand not sticking 100% to the game, much like how the Silent Hill Movies (Hollywood ones) change a lot of things up with switching around characters, adding more to the plot, and taking out part of the plot. But this film just seemed like it wanted to add only the scenes it thought were the most memorable. It had no other characters, which I guess is kinda hard to say THIS IS SILENT HILL 2 when you only have 2 Silent Hill 2 characters out of a cast of 15 (a main cast of 6-7 though.) You can lie to me and say this is any other film, just change the names to Mike and Alexis, and I wouldn't never guess it was Silent Hill. The only scenes I really think say "Silent Hill Movie" are the Pyramid head scene, and the usless scene with Cybil Benette (which really, why is she in this movie again?) The ending felt empty as well, if this was the game, you went from Boss 1 all the way to Spoiler before the Final boss. Like, there was no explanation as to why there are monsters in Silent Hill, or even anything about Jame's "guilt". All I get from this film is A man named James wife passed away 3 years ago, he drives and ends up in an accident. He walks to Silent Hill, no one is there, a few monsters, u find out he killed his wife. The end. What the hell is that? Opposed to Finding out Monsters are a manifestation of Guilt in the town of Silent Hill, other people are there as well because of guilt, seeing other things such as fire or bodys on meat hooks. I felt nothing pycological from this film, and really, that's what Silent Hill comes down to, Physiological Horror (and a few oogy boogys mixed in.).

Though, minus all that nit-picking that's really just all opinions, I really did like alot of scenes. The transition effect from the Other world and such was really nice. I don't think it seemed very SH2, but regardless, it was really nice, especially seeing monsters vanish such as Pyramid Head. I think really the Effects and the lead actor were all I liked. He actually looks like he belongs in a horror movie, so I think thats why I was okay with him as James. A lot of the fog scenes were kinda cheesy, mainly because a lot of obvious green screen effects, It kinda wasn't bad though, only because it reminded me of the games graphics from you know, 2001, on an old clunky ps2.

Okay rants over skdfjal Sorry about that, I just get verbal about shit (You all know that I never shut up anyways.)

No comments:

Post a Comment